Sunday, June 15, 2008

The ShangriLas

http://sharebee.com/de53789d
Click here for added vroom!


Between 1964-66, this quartet, not trio as many would believe, were pretty much household names. These little girls from Queens, NY were at the forefront of the burgeoning female Rock and Roll scene. Of course, like all good things, it pretty much came to a crashing end by 1966 due to this fickle world and its short attention span.

The girls failed to do well commercially for the Red Bird label and were subsequently dropped. They then made the jump to Mercury records and were largely ignored by the label bosses. Without any hits the group broke up shortly after. It isn't surprising that the girls were broke, even if they did have a short string of hits under their collective belts. The group was tied up with litigation over their royalty checks among other things.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

okay, so I'm a San Francisco girl who had to come home to Kentucky to help out her ailing Mom recover from knee surgery.....stupidly I only brought a few cds and my ipod, smartly I did bring the old macbook, and super smartly I found your blog!
Thank you ever so much for all the great music I've been downloading every night while drinking red wine wishing it was vodka in a bar in San Francisco.....
P.S. More sixties girl groups please!

Oh, robot said...

I hope you check back more often...even when Kentucky is without such a cool chick as yourself.

I plan to post the "girls", but not right away.

You know what? I'm going to make an exception and get some girls for you right away!
Just give me a few posts...